Did you know you can make your own pickles?! We didn’t until we tried them, and they’re so yummy when you make them at home! This recipe comes from Grub, Anna Lappé and Bryant Terry’s book which was featured at the end of What’s On Your Plate? the movie.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Inactive prep time: at least 24 hours
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 or 3 large carrots (about 1 pound), peeled
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar (or any other kind of clear vinegar)
- 2 Tablespoons organic raw cane sugar
- Course sea salt
- Cut the carrots into sticks that are 2 inches long and 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine 2 cups water, the vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and add the carrots. Bring back toa boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
Transfer the carrots and liquid to a glass container (not metal). Let cool and cover.
- Refrigerate the covered pickles for at least 24 hours before serving. (They will keep for up to one week in the refrigerator)
- Eat them and laugh.